Thursday, July 29, 2010

A therapist? For me? thankyouthankyouthankyou!

 For the past couple days I've been doing the footwork to move myself toward help for my anxiety and adhd issues. Still, it blows my mind that I can't manage it anymore. I mean, I kind of liked the coping skills I worked hard to develop, but it doesn't matter. All isn't lost.


I consider the ability to ask for help as a coping skill, too, a survival skill. I've made calls, visited the websites of local mental health centers and talked with my friends that work in the field. By casting that net, I was surprised at what came back.

 A few moments ago, I checked my messages. One of the more respected private therapists in my hood is willing to help me and he's able to offer a sliding scale fee. YES! He'll direct me to a proper head shrinking doc and other resources, as well. I'm so relieved; no crisis center!

The therapist and I are acquainted with one another, enough to exchange small talk, but he doesn't know me. He doesn't know about the problems I have. I'm really looking forward to this. I feel hopeful. The connection wouldn't have been made without the help of a mutual friend. To him, I'm so grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment