Wednesday, January 26, 2011

newfound respect for overweight people?

Surplus Commodities Program. (53227(1770), 00/...Image via WikipediaThis morning at the grocery store, I noticed an overweight girl as she shopped. She was nicely dressed, clean, looked like she was a college student. I first noticed her in the produce section carefully choosing fresh fruit and veggies. Also, I saw her in other isles. We were going through the store at pretty much the same pace.

What stood out to me was the careful consideration she was putting into each item she chose, reading labels and such, really taking her time. Clearly, she was trying to make good food choices, but man! It's no simple task.

I take for granted the years of experience I have with nutrition awareness. I can't imagine growing up in a home where healthy food wasn't provided, being on my own for the first time, being overweight and trying to figure out what to do about it.

If you're on a tight budget, it's even harder. The less expensive foods are pure shit, I'm learning. As my food budget shrinks, I'm highly aware of the price hikes, the shrinking of packaging and the contents within. The cheap foods are full of fillers and preservatives, sugars and high sodium. Though they provides calories, they skimp on actual nutrition and when your body doesn't get the nutrients it needs, your hunger increases.

Usually, out of fear for my own loss of control, I'm highly critical of obese people, but that young woman today, she opened my eyes a bit more to the struggle faced by so many individuals. It's time we, as consumers, demand adequate nutrition in foods and reasonable prices. That way, people could stop buying crappy foods and nourish themselves properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment